Estrella Preschool is managed by a voluntary Committee of Management consisting of parents/guardians whose children are enrolled at the centre.
In conjunction with the Director, the Committee of Management is responsible for all aspects of the operation of the Preschool. These responsibilities include:
- As a service manager – how the Preschool will operate, including: session times, size of groups, enrolments, resources, equipment and policies.
- As an employer – employment, payment and retention of Preschool staff, as well as professional development and management of relief staff.
- As the licensee – responsibility for operational matters, including: fulfilment of licencing and legislative requirements, reporting to the Victorian Department of Education and Training (DET), Boroondara Council, the ATO and other regulatory bodies.
How does the Committee work?
There are 10 Committee positions (4 of which are Executive positions), 2 Subcommittee positions, and 3 Class Representative roles.
Those in Committee positions attend a monthly Committee meeting to keep up-to-date with information and to make decisions together. Subcommittee and Class Representative roles don’t have to attend these meetings.
The people in these roles are all volunteers – parents/guardians who are generously giving their time, attention and effort into making Estrella Preschool a great preschool.
The following Position Descriptions describe the responsibilities, time involvement and commitments required for each volunteer role. Each role is quite different, so depending on your skills and the amount of time you can offer, there may well be a role that suits you.
Estrella Committee Position Descriptions for 2021 (PDF 136KB) – includes Committee, Subcommittee and Class Representative role descriptions.
Why join the Committee?
Being a member of the Committee is an opportunity to develop friendships, do some fantastic volunteer work, and contribute to the betterment of Estrella Preschool and the Ashburton community. Bring your skills to Estrella and help make it a wonderful preschool!
Also, if you have been on the Committee in the last five years, your service is considered during the allocation of kindergarten places, as you are assigned “Committee loyalty points” on your kindergarten applications.
How do I join the Committee?
Each year, the Committee of Management is elected at the AGM (Annual General Meeting), which is generally held in November. Parents/guardians whose children are enrolled at Estrella Preschool will receive an invitation to the AGM and a call for nominations to the Committee. At the AGM, if you are thinking about volunteering for a role, you can talk to the previous Committee members about their roles. If you would like more information about Committee positions, please contact email@example.com.
- President – Jessica Symmons
- Vice President – Natasha Xie
- Treasurer – Darren Short
- Secretary – Emma Power
- Enrolment Officer – Shannon Percy
- Publicity and Communications Officer – Farha Momandwall
- Social Committee Coordinator – Chantel Mapstone
- Policy Coordinator – Johanna O’Sullivan
- Sustainability Coordinator – Vacant
- Maintenance Officer – Dan & Jane Skanthalingham